Hello,

I'm having a problem getting a couple of different programs to access
the sound card. I'll put my system stuff below.

I've recently added and changed some software on my system; but nothing
seems to be broken, though, and KDE is using the aRTs sound server,
which doesn't seem right to me, but I'm just not sure.

At any rate, the KDE sounds do work, and so does the default little
mp3/media player.

The problem seems to be (now that I think about it some more!!!) with
Wine-ish programs: VMWare, and MusicMatch, which comes with wine.
MusicMatch I might abandon, but VMWare, I cannot.

VMWare says that it needs to connect to /dev/dsp, but when it tries to
connect, it says that the resources are "temporarily unavailable".

So, I su'd, and tried setting the permissions for dsp (& audio, just in
case) to 666, in case it was a permissions problem (an idea from
searching this list) and that didn't help.

I also tried shutting down the aRTs sound server, and THEN running
MusicMatch, which did not complaign, and it almost seemed like it was
going to work, but the only thing that came out of the speakers when I
told it to play was static.

All suggestons appreciated!!!

--Jon

My System: