On Thursday 15 March 2001 12:16, Dale Kosan wrote:
> Okay, I have a quick question.I want to run both the above on the
> same machine. My friend installed both and the switch desktop no
> longer works.He can only use Gnome.He tried making a .xinitrc file in
> his home directory and put the following in it: exec startkde and
> exec strat gnome-session.From a text promt on boot it still does not
> work, KDE 2.1 bombs.I am not sure of the error's.How can I run both
> so my wife can use her Gnome and I can use KDE? Thanks for your time.

What your friend is doing should work (it works for me) -- off
the top of my head, I can think of two reasons why it might not be
working:  one of the two "exec..." lines is not commented out, or the
ownership/permissions of the .xinitrc file do not allow the user
running "startx" to read the file.

What happens if he edits the .xinitrc file, and completely removes all
lines except "exec startkde" (if he can't edit it, then the
ownership/permissions are wrong)?  Does kde still bomb?  If so, then
there is probably something wrong with his kde installation.

You and your wife each have your own use account, right?  So make your
.xinitrc file read "exec startkde" and your wife's .xinitrc file read
"exec gnome-session".

__
Larry Grover, PhD
Assoc Prof of Physiology