On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am quite interested in trying that out.  I have RedHat 6.0 installed on a
> PIII-450.  How would I set this up just for testing.  I have a variety of
> other PC's I can try it out on.  I just don't know how to configure it.
> Also, is it possible to run the XServer on one box and the Font Server on
> another?  Is there any performance gained from such a setup?
>
> Regards,
> Rob

Yes, it is possible to run xfs so that it will serve the network,
instead of just one machine.  The biggest advantage is that you only
need one copy of the fonts for the entire network.  By default, this is
turned off for RedHat, but you can enable it.  You have to change:
"daemon xfs -droppriv -daemon -port -1" to
"daemon xfs -droppriv -daemon" in /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs.  You then need
to change /etc/X11/XF86Config from
FontPath   "unix/:-1"
FontPath   "<hostname>:7100"

(I think I get that right - working from memory.)
Mikkel