Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> Just read the thread on how to create a new password for root (entering
> single user mode, writing "linux single" at the lilo prompt then typing
> "passwd" etc. ...
>
> How can I prevent this, because this possibility (as convenient it may be
> for a poor admin having lost his password)  basically leaves my system
> vulnerable for every creep knowing the trick, too ...
>
> Please tell me someone I'm wrong ...

Nope. Physical security is very important too.  You can however passwd
protect lilo and the  mos and disable floppy/cdrom booting.  Together these
would make it pretty hard to get in.  If they can take the box apart then
they could probably reset the cmos passwd.

Man lilo is probably what you want .

Bret