On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> Just read the thread on how to create a new password for root (entering
> single user mode, writing "linux single" at the lilo prompt then typing
> "passwd" etc. ...
>
> How can I prevent this, because this possibility (as convenient it may be
> for a poor admin having lost his password)  basically leaves my system
> vulnerable for every creep knowing the trick, too ...

You can use the password and/or restricted lilo options to limit access to
this feature. See man lilo.conf for details.

It is worth pointing out though, that this only works from the console
during boot time, and if anyone who has access to the console can find all
sorts of other ways of ruining your day.

The best security agains this and other physical access security holes is
a good strong locked door.

thornton