Message from Rick Warner on Mon, 26 Mar 2001, 11:16 <-0800>:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > .. that's what I did, but I have just studied my motherboard manual:
> > AFAIUI anybody having access to the CMOS pins there simply can jumper away
> > my passwd for booting (because one of the jumper settings there says:
> > 'Clear CMOS data' (thanks, Bret ...) ... long live progress, or so ....
> >:-/
> >
> > Regards.
> > Wolfgang
>

> First rule of system security is to restrict physical access.  Give me
> physical access to a machine and it is mine.  Does not matter what the OS
> is - WinTel, Linux, Solaris, AIX, ....  If I have physical access I can
> get into the machine.  So, to protect the data on your machine you will
> need to protect the machine in the physical sense.

 ... still hoping to find my next main board without this 'Clear CMOS data'
jumper option ... (but after having read this thread doubts are coming up
whether even this will help ... )

Wolfgang

> - rick warner

html-mail sent to me will discover digital Nirvana ... :)
( ... > /dev/null, or wherever it is ...)

         http://www.geocities.com/wolfgangpfeiffer