On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> > First rule of system security is to restrict physical access.  Give me
> > physical access to a machine and it is mine.  Does not matter what the OS
> > is - WinTel, Linux, Solaris, AIX, ....  If I have physical access I can
> > get into the machine.  So, to protect the data on your machine you will
> > need to protect the machine in the physical sense.
>
>  ... still hoping to find my next main board without this 'Clear CMOS data'
> jumper option ... (but after having read this thread doubts are coming up
> whether even this will help ... )
>
> Wolfgang

Good luck finding one.  But even if it does not have the jumper, the
password is normaly stored in RAM, so removing or shorting the battery
will do the same thing.  Also, most of the newer motherboards have a
jumper that allows booting from a floppy that has a new BIOS on it, and
reprogramming the BIOS EEPROM.  (Used to recover from a failed BIOS
upgrade.)  This also removes the password at the same time.

Mikkel