On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 11:41:59AM -0400, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 09:02:26AM -0500, Bret Hughes wrote:
> > Hal Burgiss wrote:
> >
> > Just to clarify, Does this mean that there is nothing on a linux
> > system that takes advantage of AA fonts yet even though X knows how
> > to display them?
>
> There is nothing on mine ;) I tried xfontsel thinking maybe some of
> the XFree apps might have support. Would be a logical place to
> showcase this, but no dice.
>
> AFAICT, in the wild the only thing is the very latest KDE/QT. And that
> probably is only apps linked against QT (?).
>
> --
> Hal B
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Send Spam to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> --

        If anyone reads the release notes for XFree86 4.0.3 you'll see that
in fact xterm does support anti-aliased fonts out of the box.  Try

xterm -fa fixed -fs 10

You can substitute charter, lucida, etc. (check your /etc/X11/XftConfig
file for valid entires) for the -fa option and -fs is the point size.  You'll
know right away if anti-aliasing is working.
                -Scott

--
Scott Lampert              |
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | www: <http://www.lampert.org/>