On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 12:05:06AM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 11:41:59AM -0400, Hal Burgiss wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 09:02:26AM -0500, Bret Hughes wrote:
> > > Hal Burgiss wrote:
> > >
> > > Just to clarify, Does this mean that there is nothing on a linux
> > > system that takes advantage of AA fonts yet even though X knows how
> > > to display them?
> >
> > There is nothing on mine ;) I tried xfontsel thinking maybe some of
> > the XFree apps might have support. Would be a logical place to
> > showcase this, but no dice.
> >
> > AFAICT, in the wild the only thing is the very latest KDE/QT. And that
> > probably is only apps linked against QT (?).
>

>         If anyone reads the release notes for XFree86 4.0.3 you'll see that
> in fact xterm does support anti-aliased fonts out of the box.  Try
>
> xterm -fa fixed -fs 10
>
> You can substitute charter, lucida, etc. (check your
> /etc/X11/XftConfig file for valid entires) for the -fa option and
> -fs is the point size.  You'll know right away if anti-aliasing is
> working.

Most excellent, there is one! Yea, now I remember seeing that.

Do you know of any documentation of XftConfig? It is not
self-explanatory (at least to me), and can find scant littel on this:

  match any family == "Lucidux Mono"    edit family += "LuciduxMono";
  match any family == "LuciduxMono"     edit family =+ "Lucidux Mono";

The first line would make sense to me, if not for the second line :( I
have no idea what this is doing. Is it equating the two? Why two
statements to do that then (thinking out loud)? I assume from your
statement re: XftConfig, that any fonts must be defined here in order
to take advantage of AA????

Neither fa or fs options are in my man page or mentioned with the
'-help' option FWIW.

--
Hal B
 Spamtrap: [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED]