Searching my feeble memory...

Doesnt ps (all by itself, with no options) just give the processes
associated with your current login session (or some reasonable facsimile of
this).

to get all processes I think the correct incantation is ps -A (it could be
small a too, I always mess it up first time) the man page for ps is pretty
handy for this , you will notice that ps has a long list of options .

Rob Wolfe