On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Tally Jones wrote:

> here is my situation
>
> i have a dual boot NT and linux. MBR controlled by NT
> To boot to linux i use a floppy
>
> Problem is that i have damaged my floppy. Now how do i
> boot to Linux ? I hope it is clear now

As usual, there are a couple of ways to do it.  If you can boot from a
CD, and have a Red Hat CD, you can boot from the CD.  If you can not
boot from CD, or you do not have the CD, then you can make a generic
boot floppy by using rawwrite to create an install floppy.  (You can
download the floppy image.)  When you geet the LILO prompt, you pick the
rescue mode.  You will want to read how to use the rescue mode on Red
Hat's web site.  It is not simple in this case, because you will have to
build a new boot disk, instead of just re-running lilo and restoring the
MBR.  (That is how most people use the rescue mode.)

If you know your root partition, and you are using IDE drives, you can
also use "linux root=<your root partition>" instead of rescue.  Then you
can run mkbootdisk to create a new boot disk.

There are also a couple of tool kits that are designed for repairing a
system that can also be used, but again you will have to do some
reading, so you can build a new boot disk for your system.  The
Linuxcare Bootable Business Card, and Tom's Boot Disk come to mind.

You can create a tempary boot disk by copying the kernel to a floppy
using "dd if=<kernel> of=/dev/fd0" and then using rdev to set your root
partition.  "rdev /dev/fd0 <root partition>"

There is also a HOWTO that describes how to set up NT so you can duel
boot NT and Linux without a boot floppy.  You can set up NT so you can
select Linux as a boot option.

Mikkel