I have had a love/hate relationship with diald for some time and,
having just had another round of odd behaviour, have decided to
replace it with straight PPP.  Since I know specific times that I need
to have our internet link up the dial-on-demand feature isn't really
useful.

I'm doing the standard stuff -- log onto an ISP, use ipchains to
create a firewall and allow masquerading.  I'm now using cron entries
to start/stop PPP at the required times.  The only problem I have is
when the ISP disconnects for some reason.  Normally when
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup ppp0 is run, I can hook in the
firewall and masquerading with /etc/ppp/ip-up.local.  I terminate the
firewall by flushing the ipchains entries when I shutdown PPP by
putting the approriate commands in /etc/ppp/ip-down.local.  Everything
works just fine until I get rudely cut off, in which case my ipchains
rules are being flushed properly, apparently by /etc/ppp/ip-down.local
-- but when PPP, because of the "persist" option in options, redials
the ISP and the link is up the /etc/ppp/ip-up.local script appears to
be ignored.  None of the machines can get out to the Internet and a
quick check of the ipchains rules in force shows that none are.  e.g.
ipchains -L -n shows ACCEPTS for the three chains without anything.

I'm sure someone has seen this before but I couldn't seem to find
anything relavent in dejanews, er I mean google.com.  I'm using RH6.2
with all current updates.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction?  Thanks!

Barry