From: Stephen E. Hargrove [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 12:10 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: X Problems with newly added user

I've just added a new user to my system (RH6.1), and she can't fire up X.
When she enters startx, it creates .Xauthority, and then craps out with

_IceTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
_IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_IceTransMakeAllCOTServerListeners: failed to create listener for local

** WARNING ** Cannot establish any listening sockets

I've read through several posts by searching goole.com and several man
pages on xauth, Xsecurity, xhost, etc., but can't seem to get anywhere.
(As a side note, her DISPLAY environment variable isn't getting set
either.)

I need to get her up rather quickly, so any advice or pointers (or better
yet, solutions :) will be most welcome.

--
steve
*****