On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, Stephen E. Hargrove wrote:

> Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:09:58 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Stephen E. Hargrove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: X Problems with newly added user
>

> I've just added a new user to my system (RH6.1), and she can't fire up X.
> When she enters startx, it creates .Xauthority, and then craps out with
>
> _IceTransSocketCreateListener: failed to bind listener
> _IceTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
> _IceTransMakeAllCOTServerListeners: failed to create listener for local
>
> ** WARNING ** Cannot establish any listening sockets
>
> I've read through several posts by searching goole.com and several man
> pages on xauth, Xsecurity, xhost, etc., but can't seem to get anywhere.
> (As a side note, her DISPLAY environment variable isn't getting set
> either.)
>
> I need to get her up rather quickly, so any advice or pointers (or better
> yet, solutions :) will be most welcome.

Not sure this is going to help much, but since this appears to be an
emergency... I don't think it would do any damage either.

Check /tmp and see if there is any orbit-[username] file there.  If there
is, remove it.  Also, make sure you run 'xhost + localhost' on the system.

Nitebirdz
http://www.linuxnovice.org
News, tips, articles, links...

*** http://www.mozilla.org ***
Fight the Microsoft.Net world domination strategy!