On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 10:31:58PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| My system seems to be listening on port 1025 and port 1024 is open.  I
| have no idea why.
| Can anyone give me a reason for this?

Not offhand. If a program binds to a socket (to listen for connections)
and supplies the port number 0 then the OS allocates a free port. If the
program is unpriviledged (not root) the port allocated is over 1023. I
would guess some program has requested a port. Or an unpriviledge program
requested ports starting at 1024 until a free one was found. COuld
be normal!

Say this:

        lsof -i :1025

It should tell you which program has port 1025 open.
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself. - Aragorn son of Arathorn