Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2001, J Hayward forwarded:
>
> >  I need to install RH 6.x on a system using a small (128Mb)
> >  IDE FLASH drive.  I cannot use a regular hard drive since
> >  this system will be placed in a high altitude balloon with
> >  no presureized or heated cabin for the hard drive.
>
> Cool.
>
> >  For development, I can attach a floppy and network drop to
> >  the flight hardware.  I used the RH 6.1 bootnet.img floppy
> >  install method and got as far as installing the various
> >  packages.  The intall stops as says I need more disk space.
> >  I turned off all possible packages, but it still needs at
> >  least 135Mb.  Remember, there is only 128Mb total.
>
> One problem with the RH install is that there is no way to prevent
> the installation of man pages and docs.  I got a 6.1 installation
> in about 150M, then deleted the docs.  It's down to about 145M.
>
> I'm sure there are other packages that I could delete (this is basically a
> router/firewall), but I'd have to work at it.
>
> My suggestion would be to load the system onto a regular drive, then
> prune docs and packages until it fits, then transfer what's left to the
> FLASH, run lilo for the FLASH, and you should be set to go.
>
> The other possibility would be to look at the kickstart utility.  That
> allows you to define many properties of an install.  Unfortunately,
> I can't advise you there.
>
> >  I need for the system (Pentium based CPCI based system) to
> >  boot up, load a couple kernal device drivers and then run
> >  one program without any operator intervention.  The data
> >  will be collected and written to the FLASH drive and
> >  transmitted via radio to the ground station.
> >
> >  The development will be done on another system and the final
> >  executable files transfered to the flight system.  Thus, I
> >  do not need any development support tools on the flight
> >  system.
>
>                 Matthew Saltzman
>
> Clemson University Math Sciences
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

    I use Debian, and if I remember right, you can make a minimal install in
about 30MB. The Debian CD first installs the kernel, and then the base
system. Then it reboots, and lets you choose the packages to install. You can
choose any/all/none of these packages. If you simply exit at the time of
choosing packages without selecting any, you get what is called a minimal
install, with just the kernel and the base system. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Steve Fernandez.

--
Registered Linux user #211615
Registered Linux machine #98619

"I am not young enough to know everything."

begin:vcard
n:Fernandez;Steve
tel;home:0091-484-234155
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Model Engg. College
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
adr;quoted-printable:;;'Franline', Hno 22/580,=0D=0AEdacochin, Kerala,=0D=0AIndia - 682006.;Cochin;Kerala;682006;India
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Steve Fernandez
end:vcard

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature