I am running an old laptop as a gateway machine.
It is running RH v7.0and the Ethernet and modem ports are on a Xircom
PCMCIA card.

The only way I can get it to automatically (on boot) dial the ISP and
connect is by pushing the pcmcia loading sequence before the network is
configured.  and then I have to reset the network from the rc.local file to
make it all clean and fix the routing tables.

My question are;

1/. Is there a better way of achieving what I am trying to do?

2/. How can I reset the ETH0 port without resetting the ppp0 port?

3/. If I issue the command /etc/r.d/init.d/network reload, it stops and
starts ALL network interfaces.  Can I specify which interface I want to
stop/start (IE: just reload ETH0) ??

And how do I make sure ppp-watch is invoked ??  Should that happen by
default if the ONBOOT=yes option is specified with in the ppp0 options?

Thanks
Darryl