On Tue, 1 May 2001, Bret Hughes wrote:

> Mike Chambers wrote:

> > > (index.html). Which directory should I place the html files?
> >
> > Try in /var/www/html/
> >
> > This was moved from /home/httpd/ to /var/www/ in 7 and after.
>
> does anyone know why was this done?  I always thought that var was for stuff
> that changed alot (VARies?) I rarely keep a really big var partition but do
> keep a pretty good size /home.  I can always create a partition and mount it as
> /var/www but I am curious as to the reasoning.  I figure there is something to
> be leasrned but I am at a lose as to what it might be.

Why? I was told it was because of automounters, which will dynamically
mount and umount partitions as needed (umount them if not loaded, no mount them
unless needed) and that it is very inefficient to continually mount and
unmount something that gets repeated short hits accessing web pages.
This does perhaps make sense, but the choice of /var is still quite
puzzling.  /var was always for logs, spools, and is often separated into
its own partition in case of runaway errorlogging filling up the whole
partition, among other things.  Well, that in itself is not a big
criticism of the choice.  Where else would you put it?  In it's own
partition that is statically mounted?  On the other hand, because of the
way defaults are set in RE-INSTALLATIONS of the O.S., /var is by default
reformatted along with most other partitions (except /home),
possibly causing great grief at the loss of your (html) data.  In a custom
system install, you do have the option of unchecking /var from the list of
partitions to format, but you have to be paying attention!   Philosophically,
your web data perhaps does belong back in /home, but why fight it?  Just
take care before you re-install!
        Also, moving it can have some implications for installation of
other packages such as the imp web mail client from horde.org (you have to
tell imp where you've moved stuff) and this may or may not be complicated,
depending on the package.  Sometimes, it's just easier to go with the
flow...