On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 07:17:00 -0500
"Green, Aaron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Did anyone read the SuSE 7.3 review at The Register?  I kind of got the impression
>that SuSE makes a better personal desktop distro, can anyone confirm or deny this
>that's used RH and SuSE?  I'm asking in the context of "a windows replacement"  My
>wife uses Mandrake right now, but I'm about to upgrade.

I don't know about the review at the Register; I have used SuSE off and on for close
to as long as I've used RedHat, so I'm somewhat familiar w/ their distro.

The best thing about SuSE is that they seem to put a *lot* more work than nearly
everyone else into making things work together flawlessly out of the box.  Yes,
sometimes you run into some problems w/ specific hardware; as someone else pointed
out, this happens w/ about any distro.  But it is _extremely_ uncommon for a package
installed from the SuSE disks via yast to not work w/ minimal configuration required.
yast takes care of most of the dependency problems, and in general provides one place
to make most common system changes.  The downside?  Installing software that doesn't
come w/ the distro or w/o yast can give the system indigestion, though yast as a whole
is pretty good about not messing up your stuff even if it doesn't like it.

Just a small example.  Redhat has a 'Documentation' cd, that has a lot of stuff on it,
from their manuals to the LDP HOWTOs.  Try installing the howto-html rpm from RH 7.1.
If you go to the HOWTO-Index page and try to follow a link to a specific HOWTO, most
likely you won't be able to.  It's broken.  Has been for more than just 7.1  W/ SuSE,
you get a snapshot of their support database, their manuals, the HOWTOs, and a metric
buttload of other docs, plus an option to set up a documentation server for a small
LAN so not every workstation needs to have the docs installed locally.  And it all
works.  In SuSE 7.3 Pro, the Network manual goes into detail setting up a DNS server,
enough to cover most people's situations.  Red Hat 7.1 Deluxe, though, gives a cheesy
example using a gui tool  that does someone w/ a headless server absolutely no good.

RedHat is becoming somewhat of a 'standard', though, whether due to better marketing
or better support, I don't know.  It's easier to find 'aftermarket' software that will
work in rpm form for Red Hat since SuSE uses a slightly different file system layout.
Yast is a proprietary tool, and yast2 is still slower than a seven year itch.

Just some random thoughts, after using both distros for a while, through multiple
releases.

Monte