On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 19:46:28 +0100 (CET)
Wolfgang Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ...  some  reasons *for me* I probably never will touch SuSe even
>      with my fingertips:
>
> 1:
>      As far as I understood it, you cannot easily download a free complete
>      SuSe version as you still can do this with RedHat.
>
>      http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2001-Apr/0010.html
>

> According to
> http://www.linuxiso.org/suse.html
>
> " ... Intel 7.3 Live Evaluation iso (runs from cd only) ... "

True, you can't d/l a free iso image and install from that. But you *can* downlad via
FTP and do a network install.  Or, if you have broadband, you could conceivably do
network install over the Internet.

> 2:
>
> But the fact you can use a real SuSe system only -- as it seems -- if you
> have enough money to pay for it is not the most important compared to the
> following:
>
> "YaST is not free software" (Note: Yast is property of Suse)
> http://lists.cglug.org/pipermail/members/2000q3/000022.html
>
> Their Yast license basically says you can change the Yast source, but
> you're not allowed to sell it without "written consent of SuSE GmbH", but
> Suse is allowed to *sell* your edited version:
>
> http://garbo.uwasa.fi/pub/linux/distributions/SuSE/7.2/COPYRIGHT.yast
> " ... SuSE GmbH reserves the right to accept parts or all amendments of a
> modified version of YaST into the official version of YaST free of
> charge.  The Licensee has no bearing on this. ... "
>
> And this exactly is why I say Suse have given up more or less the idea of
> Free Software, with the consequence, that I advise everybody interested in
> it to buy every possible Linux distro she or he wants to test *except* the
> Suse one.

Have to disagree w/ you there.  SuSE does sponsor a lot of the work done on KDE and
the Linux kernel as well, plus ReiserFS, LVM, and a few others.  The fact that they
choose to keep their installer/admin tool proprietary bites, to be sure, but is
somewhat understandable.  People seem to have the misconception that a company has to
give away all of it's crown jewels to be truly a part of the 'Open Source' community.
If I'm not mistaken, SuSE does make the source to yast accessible, they just think
that they have put a lot of work into it and would rather not give it away, seeng as
how they contribute heavily to the community already.

Just a thought,

Monte