So I finally had a chance to see a journalled ext3 filesystem deal with
an unplanned power outage which shut down my rh7.1 box sometime last
night.  When I rebooted it still fscked the root filesystem for some
reason, I'm not sure why.  The other ext3 filesystems came right up.

I have another computer in the house, an AT box running slackware 8.
It rebooted right away (instead of shutting down like my ATX redhat
machine).  The redhat box was off for something like six hours.  I know
the journalled file system saved a few minutes, but not that much.