I found these two articles *very* helpful in setting up ssh passwordless
login:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-keyc.html

and

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-keyc2/

The second mainly deals with keychain, a handy little program that starts up
at login and it in turn starts up ssh-agent and ssh-add. It'll ask you for
your password once when it loads your identity file. Once agent is running,
you don't have to keep typing your password over and over again (for
ssh-agent)

Quote from article:

"To solve these problems, I wrote a handy bash-based ssh-agent front-end
called keychain. What makes keychain special is the fact that it allows you
to use a single ssh-agent process per system, not just per login session.
This means that you only need to do one ssh-add per private key, period. As
we'll see in a bit, keychain even helps to optimize the ssh-add process by
only trying to add private keys that aren't already in the running
ssh-agent's cache. "

I followed these instructions and it worked the first time.

Hope this helps