At 11/23/2001 06:47 PM -0800, you wrote:
>Sorry for this question. I really need a POP to SMTP authentication
>for my pop server.  I have been using the drac version of sendmail
>and everything was perfect until now.  I just realized that
>all works perfect until i need to rebuild the virt user table and
>everything breaks.  So, i can't no longer modify the virt user table
>without breaking sendmail.

Let me understand you here: if you "can no longer modify" the
virtusertable, that means at some time you *could*. That is, it worked
before. Is that correct?

If so, what happened or what did you do to make it break? From your
message, it sounds like you upgraded to RedHat 7.2; is that correct?

Please note that I'm doing a lot of guessing here. You have not provided
anywhere near enough detail to help you. Please post more information; what
your configuration was, what it is now, how it broke, what version of
sendmail, *ANYTHING* that will help us fix your problem. What you have
written here is not enough.

How many human users connect to this sendmail? If there are not too many,
then changing quickly to using SMTP AUTH in sendmail (takes 5 minutes on
the server, and about 1 minute in each mail client) is your best (as in
quickest and best technically) solution.

You may also investigate using other mail servers, but I strongly suggest
you fix the one you have, *then* investigate things when you don't have a
crisis on your hands. I happen to be perfectly happy with sendmail; to each
his own.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz