Ya know...

> Mariusz> On Fri 23 November 2001 17:03, you (Ed Wilts) wrote:
> >> "The minimum size of your swap partition should be equal to
twice the
> >> amount of your computer's RAM or 32 MB, whichever is
larger."

> Mariusz> I'm curious... why 2xRAM ? If I have 360 MB of RAM I
should also
> Mariusz> set up a 720 MB swap? Why so much? Why twice?

> As one of the people involved in drafting the 7.2 release
notes, there was
> a fair bit of discussion on this subject while the release
notes were being
> written.  The bottom line is that it's possible to come up with
examples
> and counter-examples showing why 2xRAM swap is necessary or
not.

> At the time the release notes were written, the kernel
developers were
> still working on our kernel's VM subsystem, so the 2xRAM figure
was
> considered a conservative figure.  We also figured that the
downside in
> most cases was minimal, particularly in those instances where
the user is
> not that experienced (in other words, newbies are more likely
to have
> relatively small-memory machines, making the 2xRAM
recommendation a small
> burden in terms of disk space), and that people that *were*
experienced
> would have a better idea than we would as to whether their
4-way, 2GB
> server box really needs 4GB or swap or not...

  All this aside, I used to only create up to, maybe, 50MB RAM.
But, after I started noticing more & more recommendation to no
less than 256MB, I tried it out.  Though some things are still
slow to open (SO, Netscape, etc), my system really is happier (no
matter if I run RH or -- as I'd once done -- mdk), when I use
256MB.  Eventually, I may try more, but I don't think it
necessary, for me -- as yet;-).

  I ~wish~ I could get away with less than 50MB, as before.  But
I prefer that apps open sooner, & that X's (gnome, E, the
combination, etc) troubles don't force me to restart as
frequently.

  Hey, if your box works fine on less, go for it.  If not, try
more & see how it goes.  You'll find what's right for you at some
point.

  Meph

--
  "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
  -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux