> The Ugly:
>
> Wow, is the emu10k support really f*cked-up in the 7.2 kernels!  It's
> absolutely horrible!  Besides all the popping and cracking, it may have
> been responsable for some serious system instability.  Here's the whole
> story:
>
> When I first installed RH 7.2 on this system, I experienced total system
> lock-ups every few hours.  Very annoying!  I then went through the entire
> up2date process.  No help.  Then I installed the new kernel.  Still
> locking-up.  At this point, I was about at the end of my rope and ready to
> make the Windows partition the default in GRUB when I decided to hit
> www.deja.news and search for a cure.  After awhile, I discovered a post
> describing a problem very similar to mine (same RH 7.2 system).  His
> solution:  Turn off Gnome's sound support!
>
> Yes, Programs/Settings/Multimedia/Sound for Gnome.  I couldn't believe this
> was the problem, but I gave it a shot.  That was the last lock-up I had,
> and disable Gnome sound a few weeks ago.  Now, I'm not sure if it's the bad
> emu10k support or something else, but it definately solved the problem.
> The odd thing is that the lockups didn't seem to have anything to do with
> sound!  Usually the freeze was when I was moving the mouse around or
> typing.  Very weird.
>
> I also use sound plenty with no lockups, I just have to stay away from the
> Gnome sounds.  Of course, I get tons of clicks and pops.  Sometimes when I
> start Soldier of Fortune or try to play a sound file, I get 100%
> distortion.  The weird thing is that XMMS _always_ works.  That's how I
> "reset" the sound card, play XMMS and then play SOF or play the sound file,
> then they work.  I mean, c'mon, a Soundblaster card isn't exactly a fringe
> sound card!  I've never seen such a bad feature regressions in a
> non-experimental kernel before, but I guess this is the hallmark of the
> entire 2.4.x series: bugs bugs bugs!  Not entirely RH's fought, I just hope
> then can fix this problem.

I've got to agree about sound.  Since this same driver supports alot of SB cards, it
should be looked at.  I have the same problems as you when start RtCW.  I too,
disabled sound support in KDE to fix some of my lockups.  When an event happened in
KDE and I was playing a game, that would usually mean a lockup or garbled sound.  I
have not just become Windows free, but Linux dependent with all the features and open
source programs out there.  And I think if the 3D gaming area improved (and it has
greatly over the past year) then we would see a lot less dual-boots and a lot more new
users.