Mike wrote:
 > I use ntp from a CRON command line every 6 hours. It leaves a trail in
 > /var/spool/mail/root

It is a little puzzling what you are doing here. NTP is a daemon, and
should remain running once started, unless there is a problem.

Type "ntptrace" as root. It will tell you where ntpd is synced to, and
the offset in seconds, which should be much smaller than 1.00000.

Typically, at least on my Redhat 6.2 system (I'll upgrade one of these
days), ntp is also configured to log messages to /var/log/messages.

Duane