On Tuesday 27 November 2001 07:33 pm, Dan Egli wrote:
> IF you are loading fingerd from init (chkconfig) then
> you don't need to restart xinetd
>
> if you are loading it from xinetd then chkconfig will not work. Servics
> (That I am aware of) do not load from xinetd AND init. One or the
> other.

Wrong and wrong, both of you, see below for more on --level and xinetd.

It's easy enough to prove, really:

[root@tuxfan log]# netstat -tua | grep finger

[root@tuxfan log]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/finger | grep disable
        disable = yes

[root@tuxfan log]# chkconfig finger --list
finger          off

[root@tuxfan log]# chkconfig finger on

[root@tuxfan log]# cat /etc/xinetd.d/finger | grep disable
        disable = no

[root@tuxfan log]# chkconfig finger --list
finger          on

[root@tuxfan log]# netstat -tua | grep finger
tcp        0      0 *:finger                *:*                     LISTEN

[root@tuxfan log]# chkconfig finger off

[root@tuxfan log]# netstat -tua | grep finger

It runs out of xinetd, it starts and stops without manually reloading
xinetd, and can be configured via chkconfig. (as can all xinetd services.)

> > I prefer "chkconfig --level 2345 finger off". You also forgot
> > "service xinetd restart". To whomever asked, yes this is necessary.

You can't specify run levels on individual xinetd services, they run when
xinetd runs. Service xinetd restart isn't required, it's automagic.

I'm not quitting until I reform the world, and dispel all misconceptions
about chkconfig and xinetd. ;)

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt