Suggestion:
Why don't you add -l to the "deny all" final rule, then,
tail -f /var/log/messages
and try again the nslookup. You can then watch which packets/ports are being denied
and proceed to open them.

Hope this helps

Francisco

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 28/11/01 10:58 >>>
Hello all....

I have a RH 7.1 DNS server.  The server is working fine and resolving
names without any problems from external requests.  I am also using IP
chains to shut all ports except 22 and 53.  My problem is that when I
try to do a nslookup from that box, it gives me the following error:

$ nslookup yahoo.com

Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the `dig' or `host' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
the `-sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.

My Ipchains are as follows:

Chain input (policy DENY):
target     prot opt     source                destination
ports
ACCEPT     tcp  ------  anywhere             dns             any ->
ssh
ACCEPT     udp  ------  anywhere             dns            any ->
domain
ACCEPT     tcp  ------  anywhere             dns             any ->
domain
Chain forward (policy DENY):
Chain output (policy DENY):
target     prot opt     source                destination
ports
ACCEPT     tcp  ------  dns              anywhere              ssh ->
any
ACCEPT     udp  ------  dns             anywhere              domain ->
any
ACCEPT     tcp  ------  dns              anywhere              domain ->
any

but it is able to respond to external requests (meaning when I set my
machine to use this DNS server, it does name resolutions without any
problems).

I know it is something to do with IP chains coz when I flush all my
rules and set the default to accept all then the nslookup runs fine.

Do I need to open another port to be able to do internal queries within
the box?  I'm confused.......