On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Brad Cox wrote:

> Could someone advise on what this means and how to fix it?
>
> [bcox@linux: ]$ whois virtualschool.edu
> No such file or directory while getting service info for whois

A trace of the 'whois' command doesn't seem to point to any issue with the
DNS configuration itself.  I just ran the following command on a system
where the 'whois' utility appears to be working fine:

strace -fro /tmp/whois.out whois virtualschool.edu

After that, I took a look at the contents of /tmp/whois.out (you may want
to do the same) and found out a few 'open()' system calls to certain files
that could be missing in your system:

/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf
/var/run/.nscd_socket
/etc/ld.so.cache
/etc/host.conf
/etc/hosts

Well, you get the idea.  I'd suggest you run the same command and take a
look at the contents of the output file to see where your 'whois' utility
is failing.  There is a good chance it could be with one of these files
(did you check your /etc/hosts?).

Nitebirdz