From:   Jerry Winegarden [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Friday, November 30, 2001 8:51 AM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        Re: Vncserver management

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Vinny Valdez wrote:

> I have a quick question.  Has anybody successfully used the vncserver
> script in /etc/rc.d/init.d (or `server vncserver start`) on RedHat 7.2?
>
> I can execute it, and will get the action feedback:
>
> Starting VNC server:                                       [  OK  ]
>
> But, a `ps ax | grep vnc` produces no pids.   And `serice vncserver
> status` reports
>
> Xvnc is stopped
>
> However, if I manually run `vncserver` and then run `service vncserver
> status` it will give me a pid.  I can then connect, using port 5901 (I
> remember this from using vnc in the past), and also wondered where to
> change this.
>
> The last thing, is `service vncserver stop` will NOT kill the pid, and
> clean up the tmp screen in /tmp/.X1-lock.  I have to remove file
> manually, or the next server will run on 5902, 5903, etc.

For the automatic startup of service daemons to occur, the proper setup
must be done in /etc/rc.d/init.d     Use chkconfig to see if this has been
done (it is likely it hasn't).

chkconfig --list | more

look for vncserver.  you will want to start it up in at least run states 3
and 5, i would assume.

chkconfig --level 345 vncserver on

will enable vncserver to be started up automagically.
also, the proper links, etc will be set in /etc/rc.d/init.d so that the
service command for starting/stopping vncserver can be used (also
/etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver start|stop|restart|status  will work)

So, does vncserver show up in chkconfig --list  ?

HTH