Vinny Valdez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I seemed to have left a broken sentence:
>
> > 2. question: why doesn't the command `service vncserver stop`
> > stop a running vncserver, even though it displays the action
> > result "[ok]"?
> > Investigation:
> > -I have run `service vncserver stop` after I manually start a
> > vncserver (as described above), and the action result is
> > "[ok]", but when I run `service vncserver status` (or check
> > ps) the pid is still running. -I can manually kill the server
> > with the command `vncserver -kill :1` and it will stop
> > correctly, and clean up the temp screen in /tmp/.X1-lock
> > Also:  This is not a problem, the server stops correctly when
> > I manually kill it, but what happens if the system reboots
> > unexpectedly?  I will then try to connect to port 5901, but
> since the vnc tmp screen wasn't cleaned up properly (it wasn't killed
> correctly),the rc.local will execute vncserver, and it will be on
> port 5902 (:2), and I do not want to have multiple ports open.

OK, fess up time: I went through this whole schmozzle myself the other
day. I ended up doing the following:

/sbin/chkconfig --levels 2345 vncserver off
/sbin/service vncserver stop

In other words, killing the service management provided by RH for
Xvnc/vncserver.

I then just did a simple "vncserver" at my user prompt. It asked me for
a  password then the verify, then it forked itself off in the background
as it should and I could connect at will from my other boxes. Vncserver
is now being started in my /etc/rc.d/local instead of the init.d. Not
sure if I just didn't grok how RH has its vncserver management setup
(highly likely) or if there really is something broken. Yes, I tried the
/etc/sysconfig/vncservers but this didn't work either. Same symptoms as
Vinnie described.

jb