It's not a problem.

The Xircom NIC is a PCMCIA card.  The initial eth0 initialization can't
see it, because the PCMCIA drivers haven't yet been loaded.  Once the
PCMCIA drivers load, they see the NIC, and realize that it is a NIC...at
which point, they initialize eth0 for you.

This is the correct and proper behavior for a laptop with a PCMCIA NIC.