Ya, I thought about that, but perl is only one of them, I have a good
30 or 40 perl modules installed that were installed through cpan, so
I'd also have to get those rpm's, I was just wondering if you could
update the rpm database to include other stuff withough actually
going to the trouble of finding an rpm.

On 5 Dec 2001 at 0:05, Brian Ashe wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> On Tuesday, December 04, 2001, 11:46:40 PM, you babbled something about:
>
> ID> I installed perl from source, not from and rpm and now any time I install
> ID> anything that depends on perl it says
> ID> error failed dependancies:
> ID> /usr/bin/perl is needed by whatever.rpm
>
> ID> I do have a /usr/bin/perl and it does work, and if I install the rpm with
>--nodeps
> ID> it installs and it works.
>
> ID> How do I tell the rpm database that I have a /usr/bin/perl??
>
> You could get a recent version of perl (rpm) and do a...
>
> rpm -ivh --justdb perl.whatever.rpm
>
> Untested, but should solve most of your problems.
>
> Have fun,
> --
>  Brian Ashe                     CTO
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED]              Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.
>  http://www.dee-web.com/

Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing
section in a swimming pool?