The printer is  a HP laserjet 4Li. If I configure it for 75 or 150 dpi
the printconf US letter postscript test page prints out, but the
resolution is very bad. If I configure it for 300 dpi, the resolution is
as it should be, but the image is now much too big and only the top-left
quadrant of the test page shows on the printed page.
On the other hand, the ASCII testpage prints out fine with 300dpi.

This problem persists whenever trying to print postscript. Also, whenever
priting postscript, I get a page that has

@PJL SET MANUALFEED=OFF
                        @PJL SET RET=MEDIUM
                                            @PJL SET DENSITY=3
                                                               @PJL SE

etc, before the actual document prints out.

When using dvips, I can get good results by typing

        dvips -x 500 -O -0.5in,0.5in filename.dvi

(where the printer is configured for 300dpi)

Of course I fiddled around with the driver options in printconf, but
without improvement.
Any ideas wpould be greatly appreciated.

trevor