> Hi Robert,
>
> I'm using the gnome printer configuration utility (printtool or printconf at
> the terminal line pops this up). My printer is a parallel printer assigned
> to LPT1 in Windows, so I guess this would mean /dev/lp0 in Linux.

> What I'm wondering is how does /dev/lp0 get assigned to the lpd device?

lpd is your printer daemon.  /dev/lp0 doesn't get assigned to it.  It's
the device that the daemon will send the data to when you go to print.
So specifying the device in the config file is all you need.

> Before I had to reinstall RH, I entered /dev/lp0 in the Printer Device input
> box on the Queue Type window, selected the printer driver, and then
> restarted lpd, then tried to print. Nothing happened. On bootup, I got an
> error message saying something to the effect that /dev/lp0 was invalid or
> didn't exist. So, is there a config file that assigns /dev/lp0 to lpd

Check you BIOS to make sure that your Printer port is activated.  (Not
sure if you're dual booting with Windows or not).  Next, make sure that
the BIOS assigned IO & IRQ match lp0.  Just like serials, specifying a
different IO & IRQ imply a different lp device.

You can check to see if it exists by `ls -l /dev/lp0`

Is the kernel that you're using stock redhat, or have you upgraded the
kernel in some way?  The kernel controls access to the Parallel port, so
it could have been shut off if you upgraded.

Some of this may be far fetched, but for anyone who uses windows,
anything is possible ;)

When you go to print, check out /var/log/messages & /var/log/spooler.
Either one can give you insight about printing problems.  Also, try
something simple, like lpr -P<printer> /etc/csh.login.

The main config file should be /etc/printcap

-Rob