On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, BobH wrote:

>   I am thinking of setting up a dhcpd server [for the heck of it and to
> gain some experience]  on my home network.  I am just starting to read the
> docs, but the question I have not seen answered is how I can address to a
> certain machine on the network via telenet etc. if its' ip address changes
> each time it boots up.

You can assign static addresses to machines with a section like this:
        host stampede {
                hardware ethernet 00:05:5A:30:74:EC;
                fixed-address 192.168.2.3;
        }
Place it in your "subnet" section.

>  I can't beleive that I would have to run my own DNS
> server and for a small network this would be tremendous overkill.

OK, then try running NIS and serve "hosts" that way.  I think most of us
just use DNS.

--
If I had a dollar for every brain that you don't have,
        I'd have one dollar. - Squidward to SpongeBob