I need to tell the Apache Web Server on one of the LAN Linux machines to
respond to a specific URL.  As things stand now it figures out that it
is called "database" and identifies it's IP address (as it should) as
192.168.1.8.

I don't want this to change.  But I have one of it's directories as the
back up directory for a virtual web site in the USA on a server farm.  I
want to be able to serve on the LAN exactly what the virtual hosted web
site serves.  I am having a problem because I do not use relative
addressing to files but use the full URL of the Hosted virtual web site
which we can call www.tedssite.com.  I need to access www.tedssite.com
out there on the Internet to upload files, maintain an exact copy,
management using the browser, and so on.  But I would like this Lan
based Apache server to be able to serve these URL specific files all
containing www.tedssite.com.  IS THERE A WAY OF MAKING THE APACHE WEB
SERVER translate www.tedssite.com as one of it's local server
directories and still not cause a conflict when browsers use the same
address to go off through the gateway to www.tedssite.com????