On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 04:12:55PM -0500, Jake Colman wrote:
> Although not a RH solution, the easiest thing to do is to buy a LinkSys box
> (or SMC, etc) and have it do the sharing for you.

I don't understand the need.  A Linux box can do IP forwarding and
masquerade, plus act as a firewall, with no external hardware.  I've a
home network with two Win98SE boxes, a sometimes Win98 laptop, and a Win2K
box all using the Linux box as the gateway to the Cable modem; it was,
and will be, the gateway to DirecTV DSL service, and PPP dialup before it.

Your only real problem is that you become very reluctant to do upgrades to the
gateway machine, since while it's OOS the entire network's access is down.

G'luck,
--
        Dave Ihnat