>>>>> "hb" == hari bhr <hari_bhr> writes:

    hb> hi all gurus
    hb> i am running Linux 7.2 redhat working perpectly
    hb> i got another custmozide kernel operating system( linux only) with latest
    hb> kernel of 2.4.7
    hb> that also working fine with another PC

    hb> not the problem is we lost customized Linux root password, and some
    hb> applications to be run manually.
    hb> and the person who was working with us is left the company.

    hb> so we are not able to recover that harddisk, its log lot of important data
    hb> in it.
    hb> and he made the kernel to not to ask Lilo prompt.

    hb> so what i did is, i connected the hard disk in to my redhat 7.2 system
    hb> and mounted the hard disk, iam able to see all the data in it.

    hb> but our application is got in to the same hard disk. and he made the program
    hb> to go directly boot and excute the program
    hb> he is not giving chance to give some commands at linux lili: boot time

    hb> can any one recomend me how do i make that hard disk as a lilo prompt

If you can mount the disk, just go in an edit the file /etc/lilo.conf
and delete the line:
password=<password>

and edit your password file on that disk /etc/password to delete any
password for root temporially.

Change the line in /etc/shadow:

root:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:11190:0:99999:7:::

To something like:

root::11190:0:99999:7:::

Make sure you re-run lilo and enter a new password for root once you
are back up and running.

--
Ray Curtis         Unix Programmer/Consultant   Curtis Consulting
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             http://www.ccux.com