Hmmm....   I have a couple of 6.2 and 7.x boxes running IPCHAINS and
IPTABLES (for 7.x).  I'm not an expert in these great tools however I've
never seen a problem as described.  Shutting down works just fine and
start up has no issues.

I have pentium 166's and one pentium 233 (MMX is there I believe).

I wish I could give you some direction where to look.  Simply letting
you know that I've had positive experiences with linux and firewalls.
 After a fresh install of 7.1 it should be good to go.

Perhaps running diagnostics on the hardware will turn something up.

Wish I could help more.

Frank

Hello ,

  I'll try the list again... First, I've searched the archives and
  found no info on my problem with RH 7.1, maybe someone on the list
  can help.

  I have a fresh install of 7.1 and when I do a "shutdown -h now," the
  machine goes through the normal shutdown until it gets to the point
  where it says "removing all md devices" - this is just after the
  point where it says "halting system."  When the process gets to the
  "removing all md devices," the console suddenly starts fast
  scrolling a whole bunch of hex codes and some plain text.

  At first I thought it might be the hard drive, but it does the same
  on a different hard drive - both drives know to work. I then
  manually "rmmod" all modules before shutting down and still have the
  same problem.  The machine will not shutdown unless I power it
  down, it will continue to scroll the hex characters accross the
  console.  The machine is a 200Mhz pentium MMX - this is a known good
  machine under RH 6.0.  The machine is a only being used as a
  firewall using iptables, I removed ipchains, so it is a little scary
  not knowing what the heck is going on with the box.

  If anyone has ever experienced this or knows what's broken, I would
  like to hear from you.

  Regards,

-- Best regards, Badger mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]