>But that isn't (shouldn't :^) be the right answer. Since it's 16-bit
>digital sound, if I record so that the highest value is, say, 20,000
>instead of 32767, I've lost a whole lot of bits of dynamic range,
>which means the quiet parts fade into the (digital) mud. You ask "But
>can you hear the difference?" and my anser is "I haven't a clue". But it
>concerns me that I need to do that to make it work, and would seem to
>indicate something not working right.

You are right, you should be able to record all the way up to cliping level
and not have any distortion.

Is it possible that the problem is not with the input, but the output to
the external amp?  I've easily mis-set output levels to my external PeeCee
amp that it easily distorted.

Reduce the output gain to the amp and see what happens.

MB
--
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       It is God's job to forgive bin Laden.
                                It is our job to set up the meeting.