> c---r----- 1 8224 8224 32, 32 Jan 30 1987 CVS

see if a "stat CVS" works, or even just an "ls -li CVS" which will tell
you what inode it is.

>From this point, knowing the inode, I would fire up debugfs (after reading
the manual for it first, of course).

# debugfs -w /dev/hda1

or whatever the partition in question is. The -w option tells it to allow
writing operations on the partition. Typically you'll want to have the
partition unmounted if possible, but always run an fsck on the partition
after (this means reboot if necessary). I guess you could just "touch
/forcefsck" before rebooting if this is the / partition.

Inside debugfs, you'll issue something like the "mi <X>" command where X
is the inode of the offensive file. Zero the link count and give the dtime a
non-zero value (something higher than the mtime, atime, and ctime, I'd
say). Then quit and go about getting the partition rechecked.

I used to use debugfs all the time. I would typically use it to relink
deleted files to the partition again. Works for most recently deleted
files up to a certain size :)

> # lsattr
> lsattr: No such device While reading flags on ./CVS

No biggie. I get that too on my /dev/sndstat device which for some reason
isn't being used anymore (must have been written out of the recent
kernels).

NOTE: This is how debugfs used to work to the best of my memory. Check the
manual for changes :)

-Statux