Hi Janyne,

> So I need to change the line that callse prefdm to start in runlevel 3
> and then let prefdm and /etc/sysconfic/desktop start AnotherLevel?

> > x:3:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

 I am really sceptic about this change of runlevel going to work. I think it's
not so much the fact from which runlevel you start xdm, but only whether you
start it by hand or via "prefdm".
 Did you have a look at the xdm-config as I suggested in my previous mail? I
think commenting out the quoted lines will solve your problem entirely and in
an elegant way as well :).

> If I want to start with KDE rather than Gnome, is there another step?

 Put the preferred desktop in /etc/sysconfig/desktop.

                                        Bye,

                                        Leonard.