On 02 Jan 2002 15:27:30 -0500
Jared Brick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> implied:

> > Despite the fact that people say that ext3 is good enough for
> > production use, you can't ignore the dozens and dozens of complaints
> > people make about it constantly. In all honesty, ext3 is still under
> > development as are most journalling filesystems. I wouldn't use it,
> > say, for the root partition, but I might for a lesser important
> > one... just until you get the hang of it and until ext3 is well
> > enough developed to the point where the complaints stop :)
>
> What complaints? On /.? Your opinion is entirely unsubstantiated. I
> have not heard of anyone actually having a problem with ext3. Use it,
> it works fine. In fact it works better than fine since you won't be
> waiting for your system to boot up.

Alright, maybe you missed this or I just didn't include it on this list.
I know I mentioned it several times, and I'm almost certain this was one
of the places, but....

If I have squid cache on ext3, it takes 2 to 3 days and it becomes
corrupt. This is reproducible. This happened in both Roswell betas, in
7.2 and now in 7.1 (after I dumped 7.2 for a lot of reasons). It goes
away every time I change to ext2, it comes back every time I go to ext3.
It didn't matter if the parition was an ext2 to ext3 upgrade or was
formatted and installed ext3. It didn't matter if it was on /var (usual
rom default) or /usr or anyplace else. It didn't matter the browser,
what desktop, whether a desktop was in use a or anything else. I used
netscape 4.7X, mozilla 0.9whatever, galeon, opera netscape 6.x and
dillo. All had the same result. If I turned proying off, no problem.
When I turned proxying back on, corruption. I could delete and recreate
the cache and have corruption in 2 to 3 days.

This happened on 2 different computers, both perntiums (200MHz MMX, 25GB
harddrive, 192MB ram; 400MHz, 40GB harddrive, 384MB ram). It happened
with large swap space and small swap space. It happened right after
reboots or after a long period of not shutting anything down. It
happened if I left squid running or I restarted it. It happened if I had
junkbuster forwarding to squid, went straight to squid, used
dansguardian or squidguard or anything else. It was always squid, only
squid and only with ext3.

How did it manifest itself? I would start getting the homepage of
MCMSystems. They are, I believe, a company that hosts one of the tucows
(linuxberg) sites. I've only been to the homepage once in my life, and
only a long time ago. All hard drives have been completely and
thoroughly wiped, repartitioned and formatted since that time and it
still happened. In any case, I would go to, say, freshmeat, and end up
at the MCMSystems homepage. At first it would only be a couple of pages.
Within a few days, almost every page I tried to reached would end up at
the same page. Plus, the URL line in the browser would be what I tried
to get, just that the displayed page was not what I wanted. If I tried
freshmeat the URL would say http://freshmeat.net and the page would be
MCMSystems. As a test I tried clicking a few of the links that were on
the page. I'd get the freshmeat errors complaining about the page not
existing. So it was even affecting the links inside the pages. I placed
the mouse over links (while still viewing MCMSystems page) and it would
say something like http://freshmeat.net/services/about.html which
naturally didn't exist but which would have been fine if I'd wanted the
same pages from MCMSystems.

To make sure, I totally deleted everything and tried again. 2-3 days
later it would begin again. I'd delete the cache, convert to ext2. Not a
single problem. I could use it for weeks and nothing would be amiss. I
could than change back to ext3 and all would work. But, 2-3 days would
pass and it would begin again.

Now, I had been going to the tucows linux page that was hosted by them.
So, I stopped doing that. First I wiped out all partitions and settings
and reformatted all partitions for a new install (this was when I was
returning to 7.1). So there was only one reference to thatpage and that
was in bookmarks for a couple of browsers. I made /var ext3, set up
squid and deleted the bookmark for tucows and set up one in another
state. So? 2-3 days later, MCMSystems.

About the only test I didn't think to run was using ext3 until it got
corrupt, then converting back to ext2 and seeing whether it straightened
out or kept using corrupt cache. I'm guessing it still would have been
corrupt, but I didn't substantiate that.

I now have only one partition that is _not_ ext3 and that's the one the
squid cache is on. I've had zero problems with this setup, no matter how
long I let it run or where I visit.

So, this wasn't slashdot and it is a problem that I can substantiate at
will. And it has the added advantage of being one you've heard about.

To be fair, I haven't heard of anyone else having anything even remotely
similar. I'm not slamming ext3, I love it. Just not for squid caching.

--
Sarcasm is just one of the many services we offer.