I'm not complaining here, but I have noticed a performance lag while
using ext3. I have two hard drives, both Western Digital. One is used as
my system drive (40G, 7200rpm, ext3) the other is used for storing
archives (60G, 5400rpm, ext2). When I run hdparm -t /dev/hda(40G), I get
average results of about 16.5 MB/sec., the same test on /dev/hdb(60G),
the results are about 23.0 Mb/sec.  For a slower drive, I should not be
getting faster read times.

I do however like the recovery aspects of ext3. After a power failure,
or system crash, I don't have to worry about waiting through  10-15
minutes of fsck to be up and running again. Not to mention not having to
worry so much about data loss.

I guess it all depends on what you are using the system for. If it is a
production system, I would probably stick with ext2. For a home
computer, there is no reason not to use ext3. After all, it is under
development and can only get better.(right?)

-Mike