There's been a couple of times lately that this has happened. I'm lost as to
the cause.

All connections to the outside world will stop. So I go over to the console,
and load up the local login I keep (root is always logged in via tty2). I do
a netstat to see if something is hitting me. But instead of getting the
netstat result I get a message saying something to the tune of "fork:
resource unavbailable". This occurs for ANYTHING, REGARDLESS OF IF IT FORKS.
i.e. ls will return this. ps will return it, ANYTHING. I cannot even do a
clean reboot. Only solution is to cold boot and let it fsck the drives. THEN
all is well.

Has anyone else seen this? How do I fix it?

I'm using 2.4.10 kernel, custom compiled to include reiserfs support on
RedHat 7.1

Thanks in advance
Dan