I recently upgraded my RH7.1 system to RH7.2 + updates.

Something is "out of wack" with the screensaver functionality under
gnome. Enabling "random" mode via "../Desktop/Screensaver" causes
random images but *simultaneously*!  So, my load average goes "through
the roof".  Also, at that point the control panel is "hosed" ... only
way to get rid of it is logging in to a virtual console as 'root' and
killing it.

I've tried to solve things by "xset s off", checking processes, config
files, etc., and also searched the WWW, but am out of ideas.

Below I've appended what I feel is relevant output from "rpm -qa".

(During a lull while writing this letter the xscreensaver started up
even though I have "No Screensaver" set in the gnome panel ... weird!)

Your solution to this problem will be appreciated!

--
Prof Kenneth H Jacker       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Computer Science Dept       www.cs.appstate.edu/~khj

   gdk-pixbuf-gnome-0.11.0-8
   gnome-applets-1.4.0.1-6
   gnome-audio-1.0.0-12