On 03 Jan 2002 10:53:07 -0500
Kenneth Jacker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> implied:

> I recently upgraded my RH7.1 system to RH7.2 + updates.
>
> Something is "out of wack" with the screensaver functionality under
> gnome. Enabling "random" mode via "../Desktop/Screensaver" causes
> random images but *simultaneously*!  So, my load average goes "through
> the roof".  Also, at that point the control panel is "hosed" ... only
> way to get rid of it is logging in to a virtual console as 'root' and
> killing it.
>
> I've tried to solve things by "xset s off", checking processes, config
> files, etc., and also searched the WWW, but am out of ideas.
>
> Below I've appended what I feel is relevant output from "rpm -qa".
>
> (During a lull while writing this letter the xscreensaver started up
> even though I have "No Screensaver" set in the gnome panel ... weird!)
>
> Your solution to this problem will be appreciated!

Try turning screensaving off in gnome and run it manually via the
startup scripts (~/.xsession if graphical and ~/.xinitrc if nongraphical
logins). Just be sure to put an ampersand (&) at the end of the line
calling it.

To set everything up the way you want it, type 'xscreensaver-demo' from
a terminal wondow once it's running.

I've been doing it that way for ages whether I used anything gnome or
not, and I've not had any problems.

I once had problems with some screensavers working at all in gnome. But,
they worked fine if I called it myself.

If you still have problems, something else is terribly wrong, but it
likely has nothing to do with gnome.

--
Reboot America.