On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:57:01AM -0000, Chris Bond wrote:

> Anybody got any good advice for doing the following. I am going to
> run a script that pulls my incoming email from my ISP via pop3 and
> feed it into my local smtp server.  Currently running the redhat 7.2
> default sendmail (minus a few minor changes to sendmail.m4).
>
> Whats the best way to stop spammers - what rules does sendmail
> 8.11.6 come (the m4 rules) that may help.  Is RBL the best way? I've
> seen a lot of information on www.mail-abuse.org, just after some
> comments before I make my choice.

Just one man's opinion, but those DNS blacklists IMO catch fairly
small amounts of spam. So use it as one weapon, but don't depend on
it. I use postfix/header_checks (aggressively) and postfix/access.db
to bounce as much obvious spam as possible. But occasionally bounce
legit mail too. Then also, I use procmail to filter stuff to a mailbox
with even more aggressive rules so I can manually check this stuff. I
then use this as a database to tighten up the postfix rules. Nothing
works all the time!!!

--
Hal Burgiss