Jake McHenry wrote:

>> Ok, hold the fone, phriend.  This is all very vague and makes no
>> sense to me.

>Ok, well, it's not my choice. My boss told me on Friday that he wan't to be
>using a MySQL database because it would be better. I don't ask questions.
>Right now, the perl scripts that I have wrote, write all the info to a plain
>text file. I know by using MySQL it would be more secure, but there are no
>reasons that I know of why it sould be more secure. I have our network
>locked down pretty tight, and the only people that have access to the actual
>text file is my boss and I. If it would be easier to just stick with what I
>know, perl, that would be great. When I compiled apache last time, I didn't
>include any perl options, so would I have to recompile it to add the DBI
>functions?

>> Please answer these questions, for your own benefit and for ours:
>>
>> 1. What goal does your application currently accomplish?
>>
>> 2. What goal does it not accomplish that your boss would like to
>> accomplish?
>>
>> 3. What exactly are you being asked to change to in order to satisfy
>> #2?

>answers to questions ...
>
>1) the user enters data (general info, cc #, flight plans, etc.) and it
>writes it to a plain text file.
>2) it's not using MySQL
>3) Just so that it uses MySQL, all the data we currently have, and future
>data, needs to be converted into a MySQL database.

Ok, that makes more sense.  Sorry if I'm dense, but all that talk
about PHP lost me, because it wasn't part of your question or problem
as you stated it.  No one will argue about the above in principle;
there are very good reasons for using a database instead of text
files.  Performance, extendability, maintainability will certainly be
better served; security maybe, though that depends on your situation
and needs.

To address the question as it now stands, the answer is, yessir, if
you're already proficient with Perl and have a lot of code already in
place, you absolutely can stick with Perl, and do not need to learn
PHP just to move your data out of text files and into a database.  Of
course, your job will be a lot easier if your code is well written in
discreet functions, so that you can just replace those portions which
reach for a text file with new functions that query a database.

And nope, you do not need to do anything to Apache to make this work,
though you eventually may want to add mod_perl if performance becomes
a concern.

To that end, I highly recommend a book by Paul DuBois called "MySQL
and Perl for the Web".  (This is the same guy that wrote "MySQL" for
New Riders.)  This book has a wealth of details and examples of
exactly what you need right now.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Cheers -d

- --